Brahmo Samaj, a minority religion of India
unknown
2014-12-30 19:10:35 UTC
This is a very interesting movement in india. It has some 8 million or so
adherents. It started some 150 years ago.

It is not one of the several religions that come under the umbrella term
"hinduism" but distinct from it. Like the buddhist and jain and sikh they
turned their back and sought a new spiritual way.

They see themselves as advanced and modern in their faith as compared to
all others.

Here is a brief outline of what they believe.

I. The Book of Nature and Intuition form the basis of the Brahmo faith.

II. Although Brahmos do not consider any book, written by man as the
basis of our religion, yet we accept, with respect and pleasure, any
truth contained in any book.

III. Brahmos believe that the religious condition of man, is
progressive like the other parts of his condition in this world.

IV. Brahmos believe that the fundamental doctrines of Brahmoism are at
the basis of every religion, followed by man.

V. Brahmos believe in the existence of One Supreme God "a God, endowed
with a distinct personality & moral attributes equal to His nature, and
intelligence befitting the Governor of the Universe," and worship
HimHim alone. We do not believe in His incarnations.

VI. Brahmos believe in the immortality and progressive state of the
Soul and declare that there is a "state of conscious existence
succeeding life in this world, and suplementary to it, as respects the
action of the universal moral government."

VII. Brahmos believe that love of Him, and performing the works He
loveth, constitute His worship.

VIII. Brahmos believe that worhip of Him needs no fixed place or time.
"We can adore Him at any time and at any place, provided that time and
that place are calculated to compose and direct the mind towards Him."

IX. Brahmos do not perform any rites or ceremonies, or believe in
penances, as instrumental in obtaining the grace of God. We declare
that moral righteousness, the gaining of wisdom, Divine contemplation,
charity and the cultivation of devotional feelings, are our rites and
ceremonies. We further say, govern and regulate your feelings,
discharge your duties to God and to man, and you will gain everlasting
blessedness,purify jour heart, cultivate devotional feelings, and you
will see Him who is Unseen.

X. Theoretically, there is no distinction of caste among Brahmos. We
declare that we are all the part of God, and, therefore, must consider
ourselves as one.
a***@gmail.com
2016-01-25 15:09:31 UTC
Bramos though not fervent in pronouncing their religious identity at every social sphere are still proud of their ways of believing in God the single and immortal Brahma the creator of all beings.Brahmos are mostly free of all superstition in society -the cause of witch practice and death of innocent poor people a practice to fool poor and innocent to earn money unethically in villages also to imbibe and inculcate various beliefs and religious practice which carries no meaning in this eara of science.
a***@gmail.com
2016-01-25 15:19:53 UTC
Brahmos are free of castism in society as you find Muslims & Sikhs have adopted this religious faith to enrich their ways of living in Indian societies. As a non-believer of caste system the most unambiguous outlook of Brahmos have freed many minds from vices of castism.In West Bengal the birth place of Brahmos and Brahmo Samaj we perceive hatred in lower and upper caste is minimum and lower caste people from other states find equality and a peaceful home in society.
WRITTEN BY ATISH BOSE (M.Sc,MTM,MBA,M.A.ENG.)Great Grand son of RISHI RAJ NARAYAN BOSE.